What is ‘cradle to cradle’ design and how can you see this applied in the Graphic Design industry? In the ‘Creative Gallery on Sustainable Communications ‘
Cradle to cradle design is all about how to we create something that will give back to the earth and be recycled then being about to make it back to its original form. There was a great video that I found called Cradle to cradle design from William McDonough. He in the video not only explain what cradle to cradle was but also the fundamental problem that designer have when creating anything for this earth. This can be applied to all areas of design. you have to ask your self with this in any way make a impact on the environment and if so how can I make it either nothing or be recycled to something else.
List five things that a Graphic Designer can do in their practice to decrease their impact on the environment.
- Can find better design solution to cut down on the use of paper
- Can create more eco friendly work spaces. open plan, greener, solar energies
- reduce the amount of power that we use but switching of major appliance such as computers, office lighting, and punters
- Encourage employees to ride to work to reduce the footprint. a great example of this is SRAM in Chicago
- sorting the waste that is created in the workplace i.e. a recycling bin for paper and recycling bin for printer cartridges.